Summer registration will be open May 19th.
The Community Music Lessons (CML) program runs under the auspices of the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Music to provide its students with valuable experience teaching applied music lessons for children and adults. Lessons are provided by undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in the School of Music who are overseen by individual faculty members, an experienced graduate coordinator, and a staff supervisor. Lessons are taught on campus, in the Mosse Humanities Building
Music Instructors are matched with University and community learners interested in beginning or continuing study of an instrument or voice in a fun and supportive atmosphere. Flexible scheduling and performance opportunities enhance the CML program, which has exemplified the Wisconsin Idea
Information for students & parents
I or my child would like to TAKE lessons
- Registration processing and Lesson Provider assignments begin May 19th, 2014.
- Lessons are available beginning June 2nd, 2014.
- The deadline to register for CML will be June 6th, 2014. We are unable to offer late registrations or pro-rated lessons.
- The last day for CML lessons will be August 4th, 2014.
We accept Visa and MasterCard. We do not accept payments in cash. To pay with a check, or WiscCard, or to redeem credits from a previous semester, please contact the CML coordinator before registering.
Tuition varies, depending on the length of the lesson and the training and experience of the Instructor. Lessons of 30 and 45 minutes are available. Please refer to the fee charts below for tuition. Tuition rates include five or ten lessons.
Tuition along with an administrative fee ($10) must be paid in full at the time of registration. No lessons may be given without advance receipt of payment (lesson fee + registration fee).
2014 - 2015 Tuition Rates
Undergraduate Instructor for 10 Lessons:
Graduate Instructor for 10 Lessons:
- Five 30-minute lessons = $125 + registration fee
- Ten 30-minute lessons = $200 + registration fee
- Five 45-minute lessons = $175 + registration fee
- Ten 45-minute lessons = $300 + registration fee
Practice Room access (optional; see below)
- Five 30-minute lessons = $150 + registration fee
- Ten 30-minute lessons = $250 + registration fee
- Five 45-minute lessons = $210 registration fee
- Ten 45-minute lessons = $375 + registration fee
Summer 2014 Availability (last updated: 5/26/2014)
Check this page regularly for updates to Instructor availability. If you register for lessons for which there is no Instructor available, you will be offered a refund or the opportunity to convert to a different Instructor level or lesson length.
Bassoon - Graduate Instructor Available
Cello - n/a
Clarinet - n/a
Flute - n/a
Guitar - Undergraduate and Graduate Instructor Available
Harp - n/a
Horn - Graduate Instructor Available
Oboe - Graduate Instructor Available
Piano - Undergraduate and Graduate Instructor Available
Jazz Piano - n/a
Saxophone - Undergraduate Instructor Available
Trombone - n/a
Tuba/Euphonium - n/a
Viola - Graduate Instructor Available
Violin - full for summer
Voice - Graduate Instructor Available
Please keep these policies for reference. Participation in the CML program indicates agreement with the following:
- Minimum age for CML participation is 8 years old. Students must have already reached the age of 8 on or before the first lesson.
- Students are allowed one excused absence for which a make-up lesson will be scheduled by the teacher. Subsequent missed lessons will not be rescheduled or refunded.
- Students and Instructors are expected to arrive on time. Instructors are required to wait no longer than 10 minutes past the beginning of the scheduled lesson time. Missed lessons due to tardiness will not be refunded.
- Religious holiday conflicts should be resolved on an individual basis with the LP.
- Eating, drinking, and gum-chewing are not allowed in practice rooms or in any room with a piano.
During the academic year, practice rooms are open to CML participants ($55 per semester) during these times:Monday through Friday, 8:00 to 11:00 a.m. and 4:00 to 11:00 p.m.
Saturday, 8:00 to 11:00 p.m.
Sunday, 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
During the summer, practice rooms are open to CML participants ($55):
Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. except during the 8-week summer session, when the rooms are open until 8:00 p.m.
Practice room and building hours will be limited during University holidays, breaks, and emergencies.
For additional information on practice rooms, please follow the link: http://music.wisc.edu/facilities/practice.
Information for current & prospective Lesson Providers
I would like to GIVE lessons
Click to download these documents (PDF files, updated 9/1/11).
Payroll time entry at my.wisc.edu
Payroll tutorial (click Student Timesheet)