Deadline to register for lessons is June 1st.
The Community Music Lessons (CML) program runs under the auspices of the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Music to provide its students with valuable experience teaching applied music lessons for children and adults. Lessons are provided by undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in the School of Music who are overseen by individual faculty members, an experienced graduate coordinator, and a staff supervisor. Lessons are taught on campus, in the Mosse Humanities Building
Lesson providers (LPs) are matched with University and community learners interested in beginning or continuing study of an instrument or voice in a fun and supportive atmosphere. Flexible scheduling and performance opportunities enhance the CML program, which has exemplified the Wisconsin Idea
Information for students & parents
I or my child would like to TAKE lessons
- Registration processing and Lesson Provider assignments begin May 13, 2013.
- Lessons are
available beginning May 20, 2013.
- The deadline to register for CML will be June 1, 2013. We are unable to offer late registrations or pro-rated lessons.
- The last day for CML lessons
will be August 9, 2013.
We accept Visa and MasterCard. To pay with a check, cash, or WiscCard, or to redeem credits from a previous semester, please contact the CML coordinator before registering.
Tuition varies, depending on the length of the lesson and the training and experience of the Lesson Provider (LP). Lessons of 30 and 45 minutes are available. Please refer to the fee charts below for tuition. All tuition rates include exactly ten lessons.
Tuition along with an administrative fee ($10) must be paid in full at the time of registration. No lessons may be given without advance receipt of payment (lesson fee + registration fee).
2012 - 2013 Tuition Rates (package of 10 pre-paid lessons)
- Lesson Provider with up to 2 years of experience (LP-2):
Ten 30-minute lessons = $157.00 + registration fee
Ten 45-minute lessons = $214.00 + registration fee
- Lesson Provider with 3-5 years of experience (LP3-5):
Ten 30-minute lessons = $172.00 + registration fee
Ten 45-minute lessons = $235.00 + registration fee
- Lesson Provider with 6+ years of experience (LP6+):
Ten 30-minute lessons = $182.00 + registration fee
Ten 45-minute lessons = $254.00 + registration fee
- Practice Room access (optional; see below)
Summer 2013 Availability (last updated: 5/22/2013)
Check this page regularly for updates to LP availability. If you register for lessons for which there is no LP available, you will be offered a refund or the opportunity to convert to a different LP experience level or lesson length.
Viola 6+Voice LP-2
Please keep these policies for reference. Participation in the CML program indicates agreement with the following:
- Minimum age for CML participation is 8 years old. Students must have already reached the age of 8 on or before the first lesson.
- Refunds of CML program lessons and/or LP reassignments must be requested by email no later than two weeks following the assignment. After this two-week period, if no reassignment can be made, refunds for unused lessons will be issued as a lesson credit towards a full semester's lesson fee for the next semester. If future lessons are not desired, the School of Music will issue a refund to the original payment method (Visa, MasterCard, or WiscCard). Cash and check payments will be refunded via paper check (please allow up to 4 weeks' processing time for refunds via check).
- Students and LPs are expected to arrive on time. Lesson Providers are required to wait no longer than 10 minutes past the beginning of the scheduled lesson time.
- Missed lessons due to tardiness will not be refunded.
- Lessons missed due to illness or emergency can be rescheduled if the LP is informed at least 24 hours in advance. Lessons missed for whatever reason without this prior notification will not be refunded or made up.
- Religious holiday conflicts should be resolved on an individual basis with the LP.
- Eating, drinking, and gum-chewing are not allowed in practice rooms or in any room with a piano.
Information for current & prospective Lesson Providers
I would like to GIVE lessons
Click to download these documents (PDF files, updated 9/1/11).
Payroll time entry at my.wisc.edu
Payroll tutorial (click Student Timesheet)