STUDENT CONCERTO COMPETITION
2018 – 2019
Winds, brass, and percussion students are invited to compete in the first biennial Wind Ensemble
Student Concerto Competition. One winner will be selected to perform an entire concerto from
the wind band repertoire with the Wind Ensemble. The concert will take place on February 17, 2019.
Please note: The application deadline has passed.
• Monday, October 15: Schedule of competitors posted on Bands bulletin board on the first
• Sunday, November 11: Competitors perform ten (10) minutes of their concertos. Accompanist
optional. Competition begins at 12 p.m. in Morphy Recital Hall. One winner will be selected.
• Monday, November 12: Winner announced. Announcement will be posted on the Bands
bulletin board on the first floor.
• Sunday, February 17, 2019: Winner performs their entire concerto on the Wind Ensemble
concert in Mills Concert Hall, 2:00 p.m.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org | (608) 263-1896
• Competition is open to students registered full-time* at UW–Madison.
*Full-time is defined as freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors who are registered
for at least 12 credits. Graduate students must be enrolled in a degree program and
making satisfactory progress.
• Graduate students with dissertator status and registered for 3 credits may compete.
• Students competing must be enrolled in a Mead Witter School of Music auditioned ensemble
during both semesters of the academic year in which they are competing. Graduate students
with dissertator status are exempt from this requirement.
• Accompaniment is optional during the competition. A UW–Madison faculty member may not
accompany. A list of available accompanists will be posted on the first-floor orchestra bulletin
board (across from Room 1322) and online (www.music.wisc.edu/current-students/)
• During the competition (Nov. 11, 12–5 p.m., Morphy Recital Hall), students are allowed a
maximum of 10 minutes performance time of their chosen concerto.
*Note: These guidelines are subject to change for the
2020–2021 Wind Ensemble Student Concerto Competition.