Advisor: Alison Spencer
Office: 101M Ingraham Hall
Office phone: (608) 262-5858
If you wish to schedule an advising appointment, please note the following:
- Online access to schedule advising appointments is restricted to students who applied to, auditioned for, and have been admitted to the Mead Witter School of Music.
- Students considering applying to the School of Music should contact our undergraduate admissions coordinator, Jared Jellison, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (608) 263-5986.
INDIVIDUAL ACADEMIC ADVISING
Current music majors can schedule an appointment with Alison via Starfish, which can be accessed via your MyUW student portal. If uncertain how to use Starfish, please see https://advising.wisc.edu/facstaff/starfish/starfish-student-resources/
Appointments can also be made by phone at 608-262-5858.
BE PREPARED FOR YOUR ADVISING APPOINTMENT
Please bring the following to your appointment:
- Any questions you have about requirements, extracurricular opportunities, study abroad, or whatever is on your mind.
- A pen and paper for note taking.
- Any form you may need signed. Be sure you have filled out all pertinent information and have read the form/document thoroughly.
WHAT TO EXPECT FROM AN ACADEMIC ADVISING APPOINTMENT
Academic advisors help students learn and understand their degree and major requirements. Programs in the Mead Witter School of Music are highly sequential, and some required courses are offered only once each year. Many of our undergraduates are interested in earning an additional major and/or certificate; with careful planning each semester, this is possible. Advisors often can explain some of the differences between courses that meet the same degree requirement. For students considering study abroad, it’s a good idea to begin exploring programs early in your degree and work with your advisor to determine the program length (semester/summer/year) that will best fit your needs and interests.
It is recommended that you see an advisor at least once a semester to plan your courses and check progress toward degree completion. Students sometimes need clarification of degree requirements, particularly if they are considering switching to a different major/degree program within the School of Music.
GENERAL CONTACT INFORMATION:
Mead Witter School of Music
3561 Mosse Humanities Building
455 North Park Street
Madison, WI 53706-1483