Fall 2020 Large Ensemble Placement Auditions
Wind Ensemble, Concert Band, and Symphony Orchestra
UPDATE: August 24, 2020
Submissions are now CLOSED for woodwinds, brass, and strings. Percussionists have until 11:59 p.m. on Monday, August 31 to submit materials.
UPDATE: August 10, 2020
Video submissions are replacing live auditions for Wind Ensemble, Concert Band, and Symphony Orchestra for Fall 2020. Students wishing to audition may submit pre-recorded videos via the online audition forms below. Students will be notified of their placements the first week of classes.
On the following linked PDFs, you will find excerpts by instrument, instructions on how to record and upload your audition video, and the required audition form. Check the finalized audition materials carefully as the number and order of excerpts may be slightly different from the original lists posted earlier this summer.
- If you are a music major (or a non-music major wishing to be considered for Concert Band, Symphony Orchestra, or Wind Ensemble), CLICK HERE for detailed instructions.
- If you are a non-music major auditioning for Concert Band only, CLICK HERE for detailed instructions.
- If you are a percussionist (music majors and non-music majors), CLICK HERE for detailed instructions. Percussionists may arrange an appointments to practice and record on school instruments in the Humanities building with the facilities director.
Please follow the instructions on how to record and and upload your audition video online before completing the form.
Woodwinds, brass, strings: audition forms and videos are due by Sunday, August 23 at 11:59 p.m.
Percussion: audition forms and videos are due by Monday, August 31 at 11:59 p.m.
Wind Ensemble, Concert Band, Symphony Orchestra auditions are required for:
- All UW-Madison undergraduate music majors with a classical focus degree in woodwind, brass, percussion, and strings.
- All UW-Madison music majors who have been awarded a scholarship while pursuing a classical focus degree in woodwind, brass, percussion, and strings.
- All Summer Music Clinic Tuition Waiver recipients.
Additionally, any UW–Madison student wishing to be considered for placement in the Wind Ensemble, Concert Band, Symphony Orchestra can audition.
Note: If a non-major undergraduate or graduate student wishes to play in a non-audition ensemble, they are invited to register for either All University Strings (Mus. 60, section 1 or 2), or a University Band (Music 43, section 1, 2, or 3.) These ensembles meet one evening a week and perform regularly throughout the semester.
To audition for the Fall 2020, students should complete both an audition form and sign-up for an audition time before the deadline.
Students playing string instruments audition once a year. Auditions are held during the days leading up to the first day of classes for the fall semester.
Student playing woodwind, brass, or percussion instruments audition twice, once before the fall semester, and again in December for the Spring semester.
- Audition dates for Fall 2020: pre-recorded video submissions and online audition forms must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. on Sunday, August 23 (woodwinds, brass, strings). The deadline for percussionists to submit audition forms and videos is by 11:59 p.m. on Monday, August 31.
- Audition dates for Spring 2021: December 7 – December 10 [specific schedule coming soon]
AUDITION FORMAT AND RESULTS
Students can audition only once per instrument in an audition cycle. The panel, consisting of applied instrument and conducting faculty members, will determine ensemble placement for each auditionee. Results will be definitive and announced by Ensemble Coordinators via email after the audition cycle is completed.