John Chappell Stowe
John Chappell Stowe (AAGO, ChM) is Professor of Organ and Harpsichord at the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Music. Before moving to Wisconsin, he was Professor of Organ and Church Music at Houghton College, Houghton, NY. He graduated from Southern Methodist University and Eastman School of Music, studying organ with Robert Anderson and Russell Saunders. Dr. Stowe holds the Doctor of Musical Arts degree and Performer’s Certificate from the Eastman School and was the first-place winner in 1978 of the National Open Organ Playing Competition of the American Guild of Organists.
In his appearances throughout the United States as a solo organist, Dr. Stowe’s recital repertoire includes a wide variety of literature extending from 1550 to the present day. His programming reflects both strong commitment to contemporary music and dedication to great repertoire of past generations.
In addition to teaching, Dr. Stowe is Associate Director of the School of Music and Director of Graduate Studies. From 1998 to 2002, he served the American Guild of Organists as National Vice President. In addition to organ and harpsichord, his instructional activities currently include improvisation, continuo playing, organ design and literature, and coaching the UW-Madison Early Music Ensemble.
Dr. Stowe has pursued study of Italian organ repertoire with Stefano Innocenti, Umberto Pineschi, and Luigi Ferdinando Tagliavini, focusing in particular on music of Claudio Merulo, Andrea Gabrieli, Girolamo Frescobaldi, and Michelangelo Rossi. He is active throughout the United States in presenting workshops and master classes on topics such as performance practice, church music, and organ literature. His interests include performance techniques of keyboard music of all periods, with emphasis on early Italian and 20th-century music. With John Aley, trumpet, he has recorded Windows of Petr Eben on the T.O.G. label. On his solo CD (Ethereal Recordings) Dr. Stowe performs on the 1863 Wadsworth-Taylor organ at St. James Church in Madison, Wisconsin.