Winners of the 2016-2017 Concerto Competition: L-R: Shuk-Ki Wong, piano; Matthew Lee, violin; Anna Polum, voice; Matthew Onstad, trumpet; Biffa Kwok, violin. Photograph by Hannah Olson.
2016-2017 Concerto Competition
The deadline has passed for concerto applications.
- Friday, September 23: Applications due via online form only. Preliminary competition is scheduled by each area. It is the student’s responsibility to obtain their audition time with sponsoring faculty.
- Friday, October 21: Deadline for each area to submit to the orchestra office the names of no more than three students, and the name of the area representative who will serve as a judge at the final competition. The percussion area submits only one name. Ties and similar issues are resolved by the members of the area.
- Monday, October 24: Results of competition semifinals will be posted on the first floor orchestra bulletin board.
- Sunday, November 20: 7:30 p.m.- 10:30 p.m. Final round concerto competition with area faculty judges, held in Mills Concert Hall.
- Monday, November 21: Concerto competition winners announced. These students will perform as soloists with the UW Symphony Orchestra on February 12.
- Sunday, February 12, 2017 at 7:30 p.m.: “Symphony Showcase” Winners Recital with the UW Symphony Orchestra, held in Mills Concert Hall. A reception will follow the concert.
Tickets $10.00 adults over 18; free to childen and UW-Madison students (please show ID).
Buy tickets here.
Tickets will also be sold at the Memorial Union Box Office and at the door. There is no convenience fee when purchasing in person.
Questions? Please contact Barb Mahling email@example.com, (608) 263-1891.
Competition Guidelines 2016-2017
Competition is open to all students registered full-time at UW-Madison and currently studying with a faculty member from the School of Music.
Full-time is defined as freshmen, sophomores, juniors, and seniors who are registered for at least 12 credits. Graduate students must be enrolled in a degree program making satisfactory progress.
Graduate students at a dissertator status and registered for 3 credits may audition.
Students competing should be studying with a School of Music faculty member during the semester of the concerto concert.
During competition, student performances are allowed a maximum of 10 minutes’ performance time. During the final concert, winners are allowed up to 20 minutes. Our reference is the David Daniels’ Orchestral Music book.
Students may not perform as soloists in the concerto concert (“Symphony Showcase”) two years in a row.
Students must have an accompanist for the audition. A UW-Madison faculty member may not accompany. A list of available accompanists will be posted on the first floor orchestra bulletin board (across from Room 1322) if available. The list from 2015-2016 is posted online.
The number of students chosen to perform on the concert is determined by the time restrictions of the concert.