Applications will be available September 5-20, 2012.
- APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED SEPTEMBER 4-20, 2012.
- Thursday, Sept. 20: Completed applications due online (this page, left) for consideration by area chairs. Preliminary competition is scheduled by each respective area. It is the student’s responsibility to check with sponsoring faculty for date and time of their preliminary audition. Three students from each area (or one student from percussion area) will continue to final competition.
- Friday, October 26: Results of semifinals competition will be posted on orchestra bulletin board (across from Rm 1322 Humanities Bldg).
- Tuesday, November 13: 3:00-6:00 pm Final Concerto competition with area faculty judges in Mills Hall.
- Wednesday, November 14: Concerto competition winners posted. These students will perform Friday, Feb.15 at 8:00 p.m. with the UW Symphony Orchestra in Mills Hall.
- Competition is open to ALL students registered full-time at UW-Madison and currently studying with a faculty member from the UW-Madison School of Music. Full-time is defined as follows: Freshmen, sophomore, juniors, and seniors must be registered for at least 12 credits. Graduate students must be enrolled in a degree program making satisfactory progress. Graduate students at dissertator status and registered for 3 credits may audition.
- Students competing should be studying with a UW-Madison School of Music faculty member during the semester of the Concerto concert.
- Students will perform a maximum of 10 minutes during competition. The concerto performance can be no longer than 20 minutes, and the timing in the David Daniels’ Orchestral Music book will be our standard reference.
- Students cannot perform in the Concerto concert two years in a row.
- Students must have an accompanist for the audition. A UW-Madison faculty member may not accompany. A list of available accompanists will be posted on orchestra bulletin board across from Rm 1322 in early September. The number of students chosen to perform on the concert is determined by the time restrictions of the concert.
- Applications (this page, left) are due online by Thursday, September 20. Paper applications will not be accepted.