Information for Lesson Providers If you would like to give lessons, click to download these documents: Links for current Lesson Providers: Contact Information Coordinator: Allison Kelley
Office: Humanities 4510, hours by appointment
Information for Lesson Providers
If you would like to give lessons, click to download these documents:
Links for current Lesson Providers:
Coordinator: Allison Kelley
Community Music Lessons
The Community Music Lessons (CML) program runs under the auspices of the University of Wisconsin-Madison School of Music to provide its students with valuable experience teaching applied music lessons for children and adults. Lessons are provided by undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in the School of Music who are overseen by individual faculty members, an experienced graduate coordinator, and a staff supervisor. Lessons are taught on campus, in the Mosse Humanities Building. Music Instructors are matched with University and community learners interested in beginning or continuing study of an instrument or voice in a fun and supportive atmosphere. Flexible scheduling and performance opportunities enhance the CML program, which has exemplified the Wisconsin Idea since 1968.
CML Policies & Registration Information
CML Calendar Summer 2015
* Lesson times are scheduled between the instructor and the student.
Important Dates: Summer 2015
[The last day for Spring 2015 CML lessons will be May 1st]
Registration processing and Music Instructor assignments begin June 1st
Lessons are available beginning on June 8th
The deadline to register for CML will be June 15th
The last day for CML lessons will be August 17th
** We recommend that you sign up for fewer summer lessons if you plan on traveling or if you anticipate other conflicts in your schedule.
Use the form below to register for Community Music Lessons. If the form says “Oops, something went wrong,” that means that CML is not currently accepting new students. Check back at the beginning of the registration period in order to register.
Tuition and Fees
2014 – 2015 Tuition Rates
Undergraduate Instructor for 10 Lessons:
- Five 30-minute lessons = $125 + registration fee
- Ten 30-minute lessons = $200 + registration fee
- Five 45-minute lessons = $175 + registration fee
- Ten 45-minute lessons = $300 + registration fee
Graduate Instructor for 10 Lessons:
- Five 30-minute lessons = $150 + registration fee
- Ten 30-minute lessons = $250 + registration fee
- Five 45-minute lessons = $210 registration fee
- Ten 45-minute lessons = $375 + registration fee
Practice Room access (optional, see below):
We accept Visa and MasterCard. We do not accept payments in cash. To pay with a check, with WiscCard, or to redeem credits from a previous semester, please contact the CML coordinator before registering.
Tuition along with an administrative fee ($10) must be paid in full at the time of registration. No lessons may be given without advance receipt of payment (lesson fee + registration fee).
Please keep these policies for reference. Participation in the CML program indicates agreement with the following:
- Minimum age for CML participation is 8 years old. Students must have already reached the age of 8 on or before the first lesson.
- A parent or guardian must be present for lessons with students who are under the age of 18.
- Students are allowed one excused absence for which a make-up lesson will be scheduled by the teacher. An excused absence must be reported at least 24 hours before the lesson. Subsequent missed lessons will not be rescheduled or refunded.
- Students and Instructors are expected to arrive on time. Instructors are required to wait no longer than 10 minutes past the beginning of the scheduled lesson time. Missed lessons due to tardiness will not be refunded.
- Religious holiday conflicts should be resolved on an individual basis with the Instructor.
- Eating, drinking, and gum-chewing are not allowed in practice rooms or in any room with a piano.
Practice Room Information for CML Participants
Practice room information for CML participants
Practice room access is optional and costs $80 per semester; click here to purchase.
During the academic year, practice rooms are open to CML participants during these times:
- Monday through Friday, 8:00 to 11:00 a.m. and 4:00 to 11:00 p.m.
- Saturday, 8:00 to 11:00 p.m.
- Sunday, 10:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
During the summer, practice rooms are open to CML participants:
- Monday through Friday, 12:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Practice room and building hours will be limited during University holidays, breaks, and emergencies.
For additional information on practice rooms, please visit the Music Facilities page.
Check this page regularly for instructor availability updates. If you register for lessons and there is no instructor available, you will be offered a refund or the opportunity to convert to a different instructor level or lesson length.
Piano & Jazz Piano
Piano (beginner to intermediate)
Tuba & Euphonium